Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Just Something I Threw Together: Fiesta Shrimp Salad

There is nothing like a big healthy salad! Now a days, there are so many choices
of salads to buy and make, you would have enough salad for life. Many
fast food chains (McDonalds) and modified quick serve ( Panera) offer salad
as a main meal. The salads can range from a modest 390 calories to a whopping 650 calories ( Panera's  Chicken Cobb Salad) Now, the salad itself without dressing has 430 calories. Not bad. But, pretty much everyone I know likes dressing on their salad! I, myself, am rather conservative with the amount of salad dressing I put on my salad.   

 
Panera's Chicken Cobb Salad clocks in at 650 calories! Don't let the healthy
appearance fool you. Courtesy of (Panerabread.com)
Premium Chicken Bacon Ranch Salad has 390 calories, and that's without dressing. Still this salad is under 600 calories, which is good for a main meal.

I like making my own salads because I know exactly what goes in them. If I really wanted to I could figure out the nutrition facts for my salad. This recipe doesn't have exact measurements, I just added as much as I thought was necessary to get a bite of everything. Who wouldn't want layers of crispy lettuce, creamy avocado, lime infused shrimp, corn, and flavorful black beans?! In addition I made a lime vinaigrette using lime juice, oil, and some spices. The recipe I found for this said to use 1/4 cup of dressing, I found that to be too much. In fact, I would probably skip the dressing and just squirt some fresh lime juice on!

 Ingredients:
1 small box/bag of mixed greens
1 small bag of frozen shrimp (fresh is good too)
1 can of Green Giant Fiesta Corn ( corn with red peppers)
1 avocado, diced
3/4-1 can black beans, drained and seasoned
1 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
2-3 tbsp butter
3-4 tbsp lime juice
salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 tsp red pepper
Steps: Have avocado diced, shrimp defrosted (if frozen) and tomatoes halved.MICE EN PLACE!
1. Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add butter, lime juice, cumin, red pepper to the pan. 
Add frozen shrimp.
2. Cook until sauce has evaporated a bit and shrimp is tender, about 10 mins.
3. Assemble salad in the following order:
lettuce
shrimp
corn 
avocado
tomatoes 
beans
4. Squirt with additional lime juice.
5. Toss salad
6. DEVOUR
 Serving Size: 2-3 large entree salads








No comments :

Post a Comment